Tobacco Prevention Control and Spending
- FY2013 State Funding for Tobacco Control Programs: $41,400,000
- FY2013 Federal Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $3,092,684*
- FY2013 Total Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $44,492,684
- CDC Best Practices State Spending Recommendation: $254,300,000
- Percentage of CDC Recommended Level: 17.5%
*Includes tobacco prevention and cessation funding provided to states from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Overview of State Smoking Restrictions
- Government Workplaces: Prohibited
- Private Workplaces: Prohibited
- Schools: Prohibited
- Childcare Facilities: Prohibited
- Restaurants: Prohibited
- Bars: Prohibited (allowed in cigar bars and allows for an economic hardship waiver)
- Casinos/Gaming Establishments: Prohibited (tribal establishments exempt)
- Retail Stores: Prohibited
- Recreational/Cultural Facilities: Prohibited
- Penalties: Yes
- Enforcement: Yes
- Preemption: No
Citation: N.Y. [PUB. HEALTH] LAW §§ 1399-n et seq. (2003).
- Tax rate per pack of 20: $4.35
Thumbs up for New York for having the highest cigarette tax in the country.
Overview of State Cessation Coverage
State Medicaid Program:
- Medications: All health plans cover Bupropion (Zyban); coverage of NRT Gum, NRT Patch, NRT Nasal spray, NRT Inhaler, NRT Lozenge and Varenicline (Chantix) varies by health plan.
- Counseling: Covers individual and group counseling
- Barriers to Coverage: Some health plans have limits on duration, require prior authorization and/or require co-payments
State Employee Health Plan(s):
- Medications: All health plans cover Bupropion (Zyban); coverage of NRT Gum, NRT Patch, NRT Nasal spray, NRT Inhaler, NRT Lozenge and Varenicline (Chantix) varies by health plan*
- Counseling: Coverage for individual, group, phone and online counseling varies by health plan*
- Barriers to Coverage: Some health plans have limits on duration, annual limits on quit attempts, require use of some medications before using other or require use of counseling to get medications*
- Investment Per Smoker: $1.77; CDC recommends an investment of $10.53/smoker
Other Cessation Provisions:
- Private Insurance Mandate: No provision
Citation: See State Tobacco Cessation Coverage page for specific sources.
* Data represent information on the 3 largest state employee health plans. Information on other health plans was not available.