Tobacco Prevention Control and Spending
- FY2013 State Funding for Tobacco Control Programs: $10,873,300
- FY2013 Federal Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $951,597*
- FY2013 Total Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $11,824,897
- CDC Best Practices State Spending Recommendation: $10,700,000
- Percentage of CDC Recommended Level: 110.5%
*Includes tobacco prevention and cessation funding provided to states from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Thumbs up for Alaska for funding its state tobacco control program at or above the CDC-recommended level, one of only two states to do so this year.
Overview of State Smoking Restrictions
- Government Workplaces: Restricted
- Private Workplaces: Restricted
- Schools: Prohibited
- Childcare Facilities: Prohibited
- Restaurants: Restricted
- Bars: No provision
- Casinos/Gaming Establishments: N/A (tribal establishments only)
- Retail Stores: Restricted
- Recreational/Cultural Facilities: Restricted
- Penalties: Yes
- Enforcement: Yes
- Preemption: No
Citation: ALASKA STAT. §§ 18.35.300 et seq. (2004).
*Approximately 47.3% of Alaska's population is covered by a comprehensive smokefree local ordinance. At least 50% of the population must be covered to earn a better grade.
- Tax rate per pack of 20: $2.00
Overview of State Cessation Coverage
State Medicaid Program:
- Medications: Covers NRT Gum, NRT Patch, NRT Lozenge, Varenicline (Chantix) and Bupropion (Zyban)
- Counseling: Covers Individual Counseling
- Barriers to Coverage: Limits on duration, annual limit on quit attempts, prior authorization required, minimal co-payments required for all medications, use of some medications required before using others and use of counseling required to get medications
State Employee Health Plan(s):
- Medications: Data not reported
- Counseling: Data not reported
- Barriers to Coverage: Data not reported
- Investment Per Smoker: $6.03; CDC recommends an investment of $10.53/smoker
Other Cessation Provisions:
- Private Insurance Mandate: No provision
Citation: See State Tobacco Cessation Coverage page for specific sources.
Grading Note: Due to current data on tobacco cessation coverage for state employees being unavailable, Alaska was graded based on cessation coverage under Medicaid and quitline investment per smoker only.